of 3

[DIV] Optimum Pistol Build? And General Tank Discussion

28 replies
    Autumnflame a2ND LTo
    Experienced
    LEVEL 2
    Admins
    Online on Site
    Holding the shield is considered as a spawned item like a turret or seeker mine mobile cover and thus can be healed . at least is my under standing until i can test
    40494_swtor_medic.png
    Posted Apr 5, 16
    Smiff a2ND LT
    Master
    LEVEL 5
    Admins
    Holding the shield is considered as a spawned item like a turret or seeker mine mobile cover and thus can be healed . at least is my under standing until i can test

I definitely had the perception my shield was "healing" when near a Support Station (SS), however, in hindsight may have just been the Mastery Skill replenishing the shield. Definitely need to check if it occurs faster near a SS, only issue is its always in the heat of battle and therefore I tend to be focused elsewhere :d

The way to check is to see if the "heal" initiates immediately when stepping into the SS radius, as the Mastery Skill takes about 5 seconds before it starts the recharge.
    ggJMmRr.jpgdkfjwAb.jpgHydY0rE.jpgwG5dyi1.jpg
    Posted Apr 5, 16 · OP · Last edited Apr 5, 16 by Smiff
    Autumnflame a2ND LTo
    Experienced
    LEVEL 2
    Admins
    Online on Site
    all medic heals should affect it in the same manner,
    i wonder if crit over heals will fully replenish the shields health,

or at lease a significant portion of it
    40494_swtor_medic.png
    Posted Apr 5, 16
    Dro LT
    Second in Command
    Veteran
    LEVEL 3
    does the shield count as cover though? then he would have the 45% armour buff from chest with shield out and in hard cover. Then Smiff would only need 20% from other gear.

Attempted to try this... cant bring up character sheet to check stats with the shield out. Toon puts shield away to look at his watch. another oversight from ubi?
    Really wish they would release info on what the fuck all these random numbers and stats do.
    Posted Apr 5, 16 · Last edited Apr 5, 16 by Dro
    List
    Undo
    Dro LT
    Second in Command
    Veteran
    LEVEL 3
    Did some testing with Joe. Sorry if anything is unclear, I am Silver 1 English.

The Ballistic Shield does not count as cover so the Robust chest talent (+46% armour) does not proc behind shield.
    It is also worth noting the Robust talent adds 46% of your current armour value not 46% mitigation.

To cap Armour/damage mitigation (65%, 4700 Arm) with the Robust talent, you need 3225 Arm before entering cover.
    You will then get 46% of 3225 (1483) when entering cover, giving you a total of 4708 Armour.

Exotic damage resistance does not effect player damage.
    Joe shot me with a pistol without exotic res and with 9% exotic res, the damage dealt was exactly the same.
    Posted Apr 5, 16 · Last edited Apr 5, 16 by Dro
    List
    Undo
    Smiff a2ND LT
    Master
    LEVEL 5
    Admins
    I now have the Pistol, Holster and Backpack I need, just need to work on the rest of the gear. Plus my gloves are still purple. I ran out of Electronics mats :lol:

I was running:
    • Firearms: 1834
    • Stamina: 2235
    • Electronics: 2007
    • Total: 6076
    • Armour: 3,777

Currently:
    • Firearms: 1,715
    • Stamina: 1,889
    • Electronics: 2,502
    • Total: 6,106
    • Armour: 3,768
    Posted Apr 6, 16 · OP
    Smiff a2ND LT
    Master
    LEVEL 5
    Admins
    wrote:
    The Ballistic Shield does not count as cover so the Robust chest talent (+46% armour) does not proc behind shield.
    It is also worth noting the Robust talent adds 46% of your current armour value not 46% mitigation.

To cap Armour/damage mitigation (65%, 4700 Arm) with the Robust talent, you need 3225 Arm before entering cover.
    You will then get 46% of 3225 (1483) when entering cover, giving you a total of 4708 Armour.

From this, he / she says that
    • Armor directly correlates to the mitigation of weapon damage.
    • The cap itself is 65.0% weapon damage mitigation at probably around 4,700 armor.
    • To further confirm the cap, I have a chest gear with the "Robust" talent ("Increases armor while in cover by 45%").
    • Here's a screen-shot of me at 65.0% weapon damage mitigation with 6,828 armor while in cover.
    • Hitting the weapon damage mitigation cap allows you take gear talents other than "Robust" and "Sturdy" which in turn allows for superior build-versatility. Armor seems to be available as a major attribute on all pieces of gear save for the mask and gloves. Happy min/maxing!
    CthTEnc.jpg

Which agrees with your findings and it seems you can't buff it above 65% damage reduction but you can increase your actual Armour Score above the "hard stop" of 4,700 (in the example imgur jpeg case to a score of 6,828).

But what does Armour Score mean? I understand what damage reduction means, well at least I think I do. If I hit you for 160 damage and you have a damage reduction of 50% then you only take 80 damage.

It appears the Armour Score is more a mechanism for calculating the Damage Reduction. i.e. you have an Armour Score of 3,768 therefore you have a Damage Reduction Score of 3,768 / 4,700 * 65% = 0.802 * 65% = 52.11%.

And therefore the theoretical max Armour Score whilst in cover using Robust of 4,700+46%*4,700 = 6,862 doesn't actually mean anything (almost a "glitch") as they probably should have hard coded the 4,700 limit in the stat display coz anything above 4,700 doesn't mean anything (at this stage).

A bit like (I think) Banick's example of 108% fire resistance (unless the fire now heals you......)

EDIT:
    I forgot to hit the important point on Dro's post - that being, Robust doesn't appear to work with the shield and therefore actual Armour Score is very important and "Robust" may, in fact, be moot for Shield tanking. As a consequence I would be better off with something like Forceful or (if they impact health related skills) even Vigorous on my Chest Armour.
    Posted Apr 6, 16 · OP · Last edited Apr 6, 16 by Smiff
    Banicks SSGT
    Veteran
    LEVEL 3
    Correct Smiff, that's why I wanted to know the cap and whether it applied to the shield, if it counted as cover.
    I'm beginning to get more grey hairs than frags these days.
    Posted Apr 6, 16
    Banicks SSGT
    Veteran
    LEVEL 3
    As an after thought too Smiff, damage resistance from elites is going to be very useful.
    I'm beginning to get more grey hairs than frags these days.
    Posted Apr 9, 16
    List
    Undo
    Page
    of 3
    NoticeNotices